A number of valuable new arrivals have been added to the collections of the Terezín Memorial this year. Some of them have been acquired thanks to a call for salvaging and preserving evidence and traces documenting Nazi persecution, that the Memorial has repeatedly published through its communication channels. Two new collection items are presented here.
The striped prison jacket from the Flossenbürg concentration camp, numbered 27436 and bearing a red triangle with the letter C designating Czech political prisoners, belonged to Stanislav Man (1906 – 1986) from Brno – Řečkovice. He had joined the Nazi resistance movement as early as in April 1939. He operated in what was called the technical group of the Brno-based leadership of the underground Communist Party, preparing, publishing and distributing underground press and leaflets. He was arrested on July 20, 1940. Following interrogations and incarceration in the Kounic student hostel in Brno and at the Mírov prison he was sentenced to 4 years in a penitentiary by the High Land Court in Wroclaw (Oberlandesgericht Breslau). Having served his prison term in the Stein an der Donau penitentiary he was not set free; at the end of September 1944 he was taken by the Gestapo to the Flossenbürg concentration camp; he returned home in May 1945 with seriously weakened health. This prison jacket is interesting for the fact that in Flossenbürg the prison clothes of Czech inmates were not marked by the letter T (Tschechen) as in other concentration camps, but by the letter C. This was because at the time of the arrival of the first Protectorate prisoners to the camp the letter T had already been assigned to Turkish inmates.
The army identification tag belonged to US Army Sergeant James G. Wellman (1925 – 2002), who was captured by the Germans in the fall of 1944 and imprisoned in the Stalag IV-B prison camp near Mühlberg in south-western Brandenburg. Before the camp´s liberation by the Soviet Army (April 23, 1945) he was put into one of the evacuation transports and transferred to Terezín. After the end of the war, he and another two former Terezín inmates were recuperating in the Plicka family in the village of Černouček near Roudnice nad Labem, and J.G. Wellman gave one of his two identification tags to the then three-month granddaughter of the family. She kept the tag as a family keepsake until this year when she donated it to the Terezín Memorial.